Get free weekly activities sent to your inbox. Sign up now.
Support the creative process:
- Make a nature display: Arrange colorful nature treasures into a design on the ground or create a 3-dimensional sculpture with rocks, wood and other found objects. Kids can also use mud to stick nature objects together as they build their designs.
- Draw in dirt: Use a stick to carve shapes and designs into the dirt. Experiment with sticks of different widths. Add water to the soil to see how this changes the appearance of the shapes on the earth. Decorate your outline by placing nature treasures along the lines of the design.
- Paint with water: Find a puddle or bring water outside with you and dribble water on dry soil or pavement to make a design. Use leaves and sticks as paint brushes to “paint” the water on. Wait a bit to see how the design changes as the water evaporates from the painting surface. Then, paint again!
- Mud stamps: Dip leaves and other objects into mud and stamp them on pavement to make different shapes. Make handprint (or footprint) art with mud or water.
- Shadow play: Have kids find their shadows, then give time to play around to see how their shadows move and behave. Note: shadows are larger and more pronounced at the start or end of the day, so morning or late afternoon are ideal. Join other shadows to make a shape (circle, heart, square, triangle, etc) or cool designs. Arrange sticks, branches, leaves and other natural props around your shadow to help make your shadow transform too.
Why is this activity great for kids?
Try a Free Class
- Two class formats: try a free In-Person session (where and when available) or try Tinkergarten Anywhere, our on-demand product available anytime.
- In either format, a certified Tinkergarten Leader will teach a Tinkergarten lesson and inspire your kids to play.
- Sample the additional activities and resources families get each week to keep kids learning outside at home.
Become or Recommend a Leader
- Help us bring Tinkergarten to your community.
- Recommend people you think would make great Tinkergarten Leaders.
- Maybe that’s you!
- Earn a $100 gift card to Amazon if your nominee becomes a Leader!