Get free weekly activities sent to your inbox. Sign up now.
- Download your own Signs of Spring worksheet.
- Look over the sheet with kids. Print out a copy or two, if you like. You'll see it's designed to be used anywhere. And, it helps kids use their five common senses (sight, hearing, smell, touch and taste) to find signs that spring is coming!
- Head outside and start using each sense to find things that tell you spring is on the way!
- You can bring the sheet with you and draw or write down what you find, or just use it to guide your exploration. The value is in the journey and the sensing!
- If early March is still feeling too much like winter, sense the last bits of winter, and try again in a week or two!
- Things to SEE— What are animals doing? What new plants are growing on the ground? What is happening on the trees? What does the ground look like? In the Northeast, we love to look for buds on trees and brave little flowers like snowdrops or crocus. Check the Farmer's Almanac to find signs of spring in your area, too.
- Things to HEAR— Get really still. What do you hear? Are there more songs in the air? Do you hear peepers or insects yet? Are things melting or dripping wet?
- Things to SMELL— Take a deep breath. What do you smell? Do you smell earth? fresh leaves? any flowers?
- Things to FEEL—Crouch, sit or lay down. How does the earth feel? Gently touch a plant. How does it feel? How does the air feel on your cheeks?
- Things to TASTE—If you want to encourage kids to taste things outside, make sure that you feel comfortable with what is safe. We love to taste field garlic—the brave, curly onion grass that grows early in our area. OR, you can bring spring tea and snacks on your walks and just enjoy a little celebration of whatever you've found!
Why is this activity great for kids?
- Become more alert to their surroundings, helping to develop focus.
- Bolster their senses, essential tools for learning.
- And connect to the natural world and it's rhythms and cycles.
Try a Free Class
- Two class formats: try a free In-Person session (where and when available) or try Tinkergarten Anywhere, our on-demand product available anytime.
- In either format, a certified Tinkergarten Leader will teach a Tinkergarten lesson and inspire your kids to play.
- Sample the additional activities and resources families get each week to keep kids learning outside at home.
Become or Recommend a Leader
- Help us bring Tinkergarten to your community.
- Recommend people you think would make great Tinkergarten Leaders.
- Maybe that’s you!
- Earn a $100 gift card to Amazon if your nominee becomes a Leader!