Get free weekly activities sent to your inbox. Sign up now.
Fall Lantern Activity for Kids
- Get an empty jar: Mason jars are ideal, but you can use any jar that has a screw-top lid. Grab enough for you and kids to make your own, side by side.
- [Optional] Get a Lantern-Making Kit, complete with everything you need to turn jars into homemade lanterns! Or, just gather the things you need form home or a local craft store.
- Cut tissue paper pieces: Cut up sheets of tissue paper of various fall colors into small 1-2" pieces.
- Prepare glue mixture: Make a 1:1 ratio of water and school glue. Grab some paintbrushes too.
- Demonstrate how to apply tissue paper: Use a paintbrush to apply the glue/water mixture to a small portion of a glass jar. Then, pick a piece of tissue paper and press it on top of the gluey surface. Repeat until you’ve covered the jar.
- Layer in nature treasures: You can layer fallen leaves, flower petals and ferns between the layers of tissue paper, too.
- Let the kids do their making...and let them make a mess! The product should look like a little kid made it, and it will still look gorgeous all lit up! If kids need help, put your hand inside the jar and let them paint/apply tissue paper.
- Dry, then seal the lanterns: Let the lanterns dry for a day or two. [Optional] If you want them to last longer, apply a sealer like Mod Podge outdoor formula onto your child's lantern.
- Attach a string handle: If you have a mason jar, remove the center of the lid, leaving only the metal rim. Tie a knot around the lid on two opposite points (i.e. at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock), then close the lid on the jar.
- Celebrate light: Make lanterns part of your wintery celebrations. Take lanterns out in the evening to light up the night. Or, make your home extra cozy during the short, cool days of late fall or early winter.
- Join us for a Lantern Walk: Visit tinkergarten.com/lantern to find free Lantern Walk events near you, lyrics to songs, our Lantern Making Kit and more!
Why is this activity great for kids?
Try a Free Class
- Two class formats: try a free In-Person session (where and when available) or try Tinkergarten Anywhere, our on-demand product available anytime.
- In either format, a certified Tinkergarten Leader will teach a Tinkergarten lesson and inspire your kids to play.
- Sample the additional activities and resources families get each week to keep kids learning outside at home.
Become or Recommend a Leader
- Help us bring Tinkergarten to your community.
- Recommend people you think would make great Tinkergarten Leaders.
- Maybe that’s you!
- Earn a $100 gift card to Amazon if your nominee becomes a Leader!